Ludwig-Maximilians-Universit?t München

Language Selection

Breadcrumb Navigation


Application for admission (international applicants)

International applicants (without German nationality) who wish to study at the LMU will generally need to submit their application to the International Office. However, in certain cases they will need to apply to the Office of the University Registrar or the Foundation for University Admissions. Please first find out where you need to apply! 

If the International Office is responsible for processing your application,...

... you have to apply for admission to the university. To do so, download the form, complete it, and submit it before the stipulated deadline together with all the documents required. You can submit your application by post or hand it over in person during the International Admissions opening hours (we regret that applications cannot currently be submitted by e-mail).

Postal Address:Applying for admission to a degree program:

International Office - Zulassung
Geschwister-Scholl-Platz 1
80539 München


Deadlines for submission:FAQ:
  • January 15 for the summer semester
  • July 15 for the winter semester

Guidelines for applications: 
Master’s degree program / doctoral studies / preparatory courses at Studienkolleg
Double Degree / Medicine and pharmacy / Practical year (PY)

You must attach the following documents (checklist):

Some documents must be attached as officially certified copies (not original certificates). In some cases, you will also need to submit an officially certified translation. More about -> Officially certified documents and translations.

All international applicants

Info for international applicants

  • University admission qualification (generally Abitur certificate or equivalent school leaving certificate; where applicable: school leaving certificate in combination with a university entrance examination certificate or a certificate from a one-year higher education course or university certificate). You can refer to the website Anabin or the DAAD database to find out whether your school leaving certificate qualifies you to embark on a degree program at a German university.
  • Evidence of proficiency in German (exception: master’s degree programs, doctoral studies and double degree programs where the course language is English)
  • Updated CV

Please note: Report or letter of recommendation or work experiences are not required when registering in the International Office.


In addition – if you have studied at university before

Info for international applicants

  • All university certificates and diplomas and all transcripts of records
    • in the original language – as an officially certified copy. Applicants from the USA require transcripts in a sealed university envelope.
    • with an officially certified translation. Certificates in English, French, Italian, Catalan, Latin, Portuguese, Rumanian and Spanish do not have to be translated.
  • Where applicable, registration and confirmation of programs previously studied at any other German university
  • If you are applying for a master’s degree program: Letter of admission for the master’s degree program from the coordinator of the degree program (can be handed in later during registration)
  • If you are applying for doctoral studies: Supervisory agreement signed by the prospective supervisor, and a letter of admission for doctoral studies from the respective doctoral committee

In addition – if you are applying to change your program or university

Info for international applicants

  • Evidence of all courses completed to date (applications without such evidence will not be processed!)
  • Where applicable, notice of transfer of credit from the respective examination board for an advanced semester

In addition – if you are married or have changed your name

Info for international applicants

  • Marriage certificate or official notice of change of name

Responsible for content: International Office